Little Free Library is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to inspire a love of reading, bring together communities, and spark creativity by fostering neighborhood book exchanges around the world. Through Little Free Libraries, millions of books are exchanged each year, profoundly increasing access to books for readers of all ages and backgrounds.
Skaneateles Library’s Little Free Library is registered with the Little Free Library organization as an official book exchange. You can find our Spafford Little Free Library on their world map at LittleFreeLibrary.org along with many others!
WHAT IS A LITTLE FREE LIBRARY?
A Little Free Library is a community book exchange box. It belongs to everyone, and everyone is free to use it! The motto of Little Free Libraries is “take a book – return a book.” Visitors are encouraged to take books home to enjoy. All the books are free and there is nothing to sign-up for and no strings attached. It is up to everyone to keep Little Free Libraries full! Visitors and volunteers are asked to bring books to leave in the Little Free Library so that someone else can enjoy a good read!
SPAFFORD LITTLE FREE LIBRARY
The Spafford Little Free Library was installed in June of 2018 by the Skaneateles Library. This Little Free Library was painted and sponsored by a local Skaneateles high student in honor of her parents for their years of support.
Little Free Library Location: Borodino Hall Community Center, 1861 E Lake Road, Skaneateles, New York 13152
Little Free Library Volunteers
Little Free Libraries exist for the benefit of the community and they also create a great opportunity for community members to get together and volunteer. If you are interested in volunteering to help with our Little Free Library please contact us! Call us at 315-685-5135 or send us an email at email@example.com.
VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Try to maintain a nice variety of books: fiction, nonfiction, books for kids, teens and adults. If you notice a certain kind of book seems to be popular, try to stock the Little Free Library with similar titles.
- Keep track of books that have been in the Little Free Library for a while. You don’t need to maintain a list! We suggest you take a picture of the books every month or so and check it later to see if the contents have changed. Books that have been there for a long time should be removed and replaced with new ones. New choices for the Little Free Library can be found in the library’s basement.
- Keep the Little Free Library full, but not stuffed. There should be room for readers to donate their own selections!
- Add Little Free Library bookmarks to all books in the Little Free Library. Bookmarks can be found in the library basement with the extra Little Free Library books. If more bookmarks need to be printed, please let us know.
- Check the Little Free Library for issues. Take out all of the books to make sure there is no water, dirt, trash or insects inside the Little Free Library.
- Clean the front window of the Little Free Library so that everyone can see all the great books inside.
- Alert staff at Skaneateles Library is there are any problems with the Little Free Library.
- Spread the word! Let your friends and family know about the Little Free Library. Posting pictures on social media is a great way to introduce others to Little Free Libraries.