Kids of all ages can enjoy summer reading!
Track the books you’ve read to earn prizes! Stop in the library to sign up for summer reading, our programs run from July to August.
Reading over the summer is incredibly important for students and their academic achievement.
- Children who don’t read over the summer experience summer learning loss. That’s right — kids don’t just feel like they’ve forgotten some of what they’ve learned — they actually do forget it.
- Summer Reading encourages kids to read whatever they want, which helps instill a love of reading for recreation. Studies show that kids who read for fun often out-perform kids who don’t in school.
- Summer Reading and all of its associated activities are absolutely free, offering everyone safe, educational opportunities throughout the summer.
Tips for Parents to Encourage Reading:
- Read to children from the time they are born. It’s never too early to start!
- Set aside a special time to read, when you and your family are relaxed.
- Children enjoy setting the pace of reading time. Encourage them to turn pages.
- Many children like to hear the same story again and again. It comforts them and helps develop language skills.
- Visit the library to choose books and enjoy programs together!